See the original blog post, "PLP Defends Rapists" for the announcement and call to action regarding PLP's defense of admitted rapist Seth Miller.


***TRIGGER WARNING*** Everything in this blog is a frank discussion of sexual violence and rape.



Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sexual abuse is the abuse of power - Rape and age difference

Excerpted from, "I Was 12, He Was 20 -- So Why Did Everyone Blame Me for Our Sexual Relationship?" by Jillian Lauren
I realized that regardless of what this girl asked for, if someone eight years her senior touched her, I would unreservedly call it sexual abuse. In that case my politics and my emotions would have no quarrel at all. 
So that is what I will call it. Feelings around abusive dynamics are often complex and ambiguous, but that doesn’t lessen the impact in the lives of the victims. I was abused. And I liked it, some of the time. I loved him, certainly. But that doesn’t change the fact that I have lived with it for the rest of my life and I couldn’t possibly have foreseen the extent of the reverberations. That is meant to be the job of the adults in the equation.
Rape is not a sex act, rape is an exercise of power and domination.

No comments:

Post a Comment